BlueNovemberCreations

Monday, November 21, 2005

The First Day - November 20th - "Solid"

...I had taken great effort to coordinate this event...with the help of Fae and so many others, it was very successful...an itinerary was written with specific times for various things...everyone was signed in and the schedule was adhered to and even surpassed...coffee, bagels, more coffee...we familiarized ourselves with our studio space...Jeff became our gaffer...the crew consisted of Fae, House, Jay, Jeff, Paulette, Cathy, Bret, Bill Cornelius and myself...Benjamin, John an others would join later...

...Bret assessed the situation, working with Jeff to find that perfect light (Nightingale has professional stage lighting, though a little dated)...Fae made coffee and looked after so many of the little details I missed (she is wonderful that way!)...Cathy and Paulette traded between grip and clapper...Jay was our boom mic man...House was my Line Producer, and though we did not clearly define the role in detail, he performed as he should have...Bill began the assembly of the doorways immediately (Bill had designed and constructed three doorways, painted white, and a single sheet of metal, painted blue, for our bluescreen...the blue is a special formula, and a can was borrowed from the Nightingale for just this purpose)...the bed was assembled as well...

...Corey and I did vocal tracks before we committed his image to film...several trains were heard in Jay's headphones, causing us to wait...the heater was turned off for sound considerations - everyone was cold...Corey performed the lines for the various senses, per the script...for "sound", Amanda Hardy drove in from her lunch break...she dressed in a black corset, black satin dress and opera gloves...she sat and played the cello...Corey was lit with studio lights, whereas Amanda was lit only with halogens...this created a candlelight effect...we finished with our morning schedule and began on part of the afternoon...we were finished with everything, save for the blue screen sequences, by lunch...we ordered pizza and made more coffee...

...the time saved became necessary...the blue screen technique required a lot of attention...two shots were captured of all three doorways on the left of the stage and on the right...this will become a composite shot, creating the six doorways depicted in the script...we planned to shoot only three of the six characters...my character would see and alternate form of himself, a different path, in each "mirror"...with Bret's idea and Cathy's metronome, we achieved a synchronous movement of the two characters...this required a rehearsal before each take, and my actions as the alternate character were performed in reverse...we used a fog machine for added effect...technically, the lighting was problematic, in that all shadows had to be removed from the blue screen, despite the fact that we were casting shadows all over...we would shoot the main character in front of the blue screen, remove the screen, and then I would change and play my opposite...this was the most time consuming part of the shoot, and it took us well into the afternoon...I had planned for a twelve hour day, and were half an hour shy of that mark...

Example

...many thanx to my crew and to the Nightingale...this was a day full of confidence, achievement and success...I could not be happier with a beginning...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home